A Norwegian IP address is the gold standard for accessing the free and open Internet, and you can get one with the right VPN. However, the market is flooded with subpar providers, some of which can make you less safe. Follow our recommendations, and you’ll be browsing the Internet like you’re in Norway in no time.
There are a whole raft of reasons that you might want to get an IP address from Norway. If you live in a country with harsh internet restrictions then you may want to access censored or blocked sites, unblock Netflix, or simply keep your personal data private. There is, of course, also a plethora of great Norwegian content by news and media websites like NRK1, NRK2, VT2, and TVNorge that is only available inside Norway. If you want to stream videos from these sites, you will need a Norwegian IP address.
In this article we’ll talk about the uses of a foreign IP address and then we’ll explain about how you can use a VPN to get a new IP address. We’ll also recommend the best VPNs and give you instructions on how to get a Norwegian IP address from anywhere.
You Can Get A Norwegian IP Address Using a VPN
The easiest and best way to get a Norwegian IP address is to use a virtual private network. A VPN works by installing a piece of software onto your device which encrypts all of the data that you send over the internet. This encrypted data is then sent to a server somewhere else in the world which is run by your VPN provider. At this server, the data is decrypted before being sent on to its original destination.
This means that in practice, when your VPN is active you can use the internet exactly as usual. However, because the data rejoins the internet from the server, it is assigned a new IP address. The IP address you are assigned is based on the location of the server instead of your actual location.
So you can use a VPN to connect to a server in Norway. Then you will be assigned a Norwegian IP address and all of your traffic will appear to originate from Norway instead of your actual location. This works from anywhere in the world.
More Reasons To Use A VPN
There are further advantages to using a VPN as well being able to get a Norwegian IP address. Here are a few more reasons to use a VPN:
- Keep you data safe and private. Due to the encryption used by your VPN, it will make it impossible for outsiders to snoop on your internet activity or to steal your data. This keeps you safe when you use public wifi networks and makes it less likely that you will be a victim of cyber crime such as identity theft, phishing, or vishing.
- Stop the government from spying on you. If you are concerned about personal privacy, you should know that your ISP can see all of the sites that you visit online, and may even be able to see emails that you write, videos that you watch, and more. The government can force your ISP to hand over this information and can use it to spy on your online activities. With a VPN, the encryption of your data means that neither your ISP nor the government can observe or record your online activities
- Share files safely. If you like to use file sharing sites and technologies like torrents, then you need to be very careful. As your ISP can observe your internet activities, it is highly likely that you will get into trouble if you share files illegally. With a VPN, all of your traffic is kept hidden and private so no one can see if you are downloading or sharing files.
Proxy Vs. VPN?
Another option to get a Norwegian IP address is to use a proxy service. This works in a simpler way: instead of encrypting your data and sending it via Norway like a VPN, a proxy works by keeping your traffic the same and exchange your IP address for an IP from the proxy’s servers.
The disadvantage of a proxy is that it does not have the same security features as a VPN; it won’t encrypt your data or keep your information private. While proxy services and VPN services cost about the same, a VPN gives your better flexibility and much better security. Opt for a VPN every time.
Choosing The Right VPN For Spoofing Into Norway
When choosing a VPN provider, you might be tempted to try a free VPN service. But this is not advisable as free VPNs often make their money by selling off user data or other dubious practises which make you less safe. It is far better to pay for a reputable and trustworthy VPN which will both let you have a Norwegian IP address and keep you safe.
Here are the factors that we consider when choosing a VPN provider to recommend:
- High level of security to keep your data safe, through the use of strong 256-bit encryption which can’t be cracked and a no logging policy so you can be sure that your data won’t be recorded or sold off the third parties.
- Fast connection speeds so your VPN won’t slow down your internet much during tasks like streaming and downloading. Using a VPN necessarily slows down your connection a little bit, as the data has to go through an extra step of encryption. But a good VPN will have super fast connections that you don’t even notice are there.
- Servers in Norway and around the world. To get your Norwegian IP address, you need a VPN provider that has servers in Norway that you can connect to. It is also helpful to have servers in many other countries so that you can get IP addresses from other countries too, such as Spain, Russia, the UK, or Japan.
- Software for all the operating systems you use. With one VPN subscription, you can protect all of your devices at the same time. For this you just need to check whether your VPN provider has software for all of the operating systems that you use, such as Windows, iOS, Android, or macOS.
Top VPNs For Getting A Norwegian IP Address Abroad
With that, here are our top recommended VPNs for getting an IP address from Norway anywhere in the world:
ExpressVPN is a top rated VPN in all of the key areas: speed, security, and ease of use. The connections offered are super fast and are perfect for streaming high definition video or downloading large files. In terms of security, the encryption used is a strong 256-bit which can’t be cracked, and there is a no logging policy to preserve your privacy. Additional security features in the software include a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and an IP address checker.
The service offers a large network of servers totaling more than 3,000 servers in 160 locations in 94 different countries. This includes several servers in Norway so you can get an IP address from there easily. If you want to know where else you can connect to servers, see the full list on the ExpressVPN website. The software can be installed on a range of platforms like Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Android, and there are also browser extensions available for the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari browsers.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming services
- 3,000+ super fast servers
- No DNS/IP leaks found
- No personal information logs kept
- Customer Service (24/7 Chat).
- High cost for month-to-month users.
NordVPN is a great VPN for users who want to be able to perform advanced functions as well as getting an IP address from elsewhere in the world. The security suite has all the essential features: 256-bit encryption, a no logging policy, plus options in the software for a kill switch along with the CyberSec ad-blocking and anti-malware functions. The fast connections can handily be used for tasks like browsing, video chatting, streaming, and downloading.
The network of servers available is absolutely huge. With over 5,400 servers in 59 countries, including 69 servers in Norway, there will be no lack of options for you to choose from. As well as regular VPN servers there are also speciality servers for functions like P2P downloading, double VPN, onion over VPN, and obfuscated servers. You can see a full list of available server locations and types on NordVPN’s website. Dedicated applications are available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Chrome OS, Android, and many more.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Unblocks American Netflix
- Most VPN servers with different IP addresses
- Torrenting/P2P explicitly allowed
- “Double” data protection
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
CyberGhost is a VPN which stands out for being super easy to use. Even if you have no experience with using VPNs, you won’t have any problems using the software to connect to the server that you need to get your Norwegian IP address. Regardless of which device you have, the user interface features colourful icons and other well-designed visual cues, making it easy to manage all the settings and configuration preferences for your VPN connections. There is also solid security on offer with 256-bit encryption and a no logging policy.
The large network of servers covers a total of 5,900 servers in 90 countries, including 30 servers in Norway. You can see the full list of CyberGhost servers on their website. Connections are reliably fast across this entire network, so you’ll never be left wanting for a useable option. Dedicated software is available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac OS.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- LOW PRICE: 6 EXTRA free months (79% off - link below)
- Special profile designed for torrenting privately
- 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA256 authentication
- Strict no-logs policy
- 45-day no-quibble money back guarantee.
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
How An IP Address Reveals Your Location
Whenever your device connects to the internet (whether it is a phone, laptop, tablet, or other device), you are assigned a unique IP address. This IP address is a string of numbers that represents your specific device, so when you send a request (for example for a particular website), it can be certain that the information is sent back to your device and not to any other device on your network.
Your IP address is assigned to you by your internet service provider (ISP). Contained within that string of numbers is information about your location (each country has a different range of numbers from which the IP addresses are assigned). This means that it is possible for a website to read your IP address and work out which country you are browsing the internet from.
You might have noticed that sites are tweaked to reflect your region, for example, if you are based in the UK and you visit google.com you are redirected to google.co.uk. If you access google.com from Germany you are redirected to google.de and so on. This is achieved by the website reading your IP address and then serving you content based on your location.
Why You Might Want A Norwegian IP Address
So why might you want an IP address from another country, like Norway? There are several reasons for this. Firstly, with a Norwegian IP address you can access any content that is available in Norway, even if it is blocked in your country. For example, many file sharing websites are blocked in countries like the US, Australia, the UK, and elsewhere. But Norway has much more liberal laws about file sharing websites, so you can freely access a site like The Pirate Bay with a Norwegian IP address. You may also want to access gambling sites like those for online poker, which are blocked in some countries – but not in Norway.
A second reason is if you live in Norway but go travelling abroad. While you are travelling, you won’t be able to watch videos on websites like TVNorge as the content is blocked in foreign countries. But with a Norwegian IP address, you can watch this content from anywhere in the world.
Finally, you might want to unblock streaming sites like Netflix which have a different catalogue of content available in different countries, due to copyright laws. If there is a Norwegian show that is not available on Netflix in your country, then you can use a Norwegian IP address to unblock the site and watch the Netflix Norway content from anywhere.
A Norwegian IP address can be useful for accessing regional restricted websites, unblocking streaming sites, and keeping your data safe and private. As Norway has liberal internet laws, it is a useful virtual access point for widely blocked sites like The Pirate Bay.
We have recommended a number of VPN providers that you can use to get an IP address from Norway. Have you tried any of these VPNs? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments below!
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.