Skype is one of the world’s largest VoIP services. It allows users around the world to connect via voice, video, and text chat, all with just a few clicks. The only real downside of the Skype service is that it’s limited or even outright blocked in certain countries. These regions typically lock down certain VoIP programs to favor locally-owned services. If you’re using Skype while crossing the border, you’ll suddenly find your connection terminated.
The good news is that virtual private netwrok can eliminate these problems in an instant and unblock Skype anywhere in the world. By running an encrypted VPN on your device, you can call and connect via Skype without limitation, all while watching Netflix movies from other countries and surfing the uncensored internet with full anonymity. Read the guide below for information on how to choose the best VPN to unblock Skype anywhere in the world.
- 1 Finding the Best VPN to Unblock Skype
- 2 Best VPNs to Unblock Skype Chat
- 3 How to Use a VPN to Unblock Skype Anywhere
- 4 Where Is Skype Blocked?
- 5 Is it Legal to Unblock Skype with a VPN?
- 6 Conclusion
Finding the Best VPN to Unblock Skype
Even if you’re new to the world of VPNs, it’s surprisingly easy to get started with them. Things like encryption protocols, privacy policies, and software features may look complicated, but because VPN services go out of their way to create a user-friendly experience, just about anyone can get started with a VPN with very little effort.
To help get the ball rolling, we’ve provided a few recommendations in the next section, and below are the important criteria we used to make those selections.
VPN Selection Criteria
To ensure you get the best balance of speed and security features, pay close attention to the list of criteria below. These are the most important things you should consider when looking for a good VPN to use with Skype or any VoIP service.
- Device compatibility – If a VPN doesn’t support your hardware (smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.), you can’t use it. Since Skype runs on so many platforms, make sure your VPN does, too.
- Fast downloads – Speed is crucial when it comes to voice and video calls. All VPNs add some slowdown via the encryption process, but the best providers minimize this.
- Network size – The more servers a VPN runs, the more connection options and IP addresses are at your disposal.
- Reputation – Make sure your VPN has a huge base of satisfied customers before signing up. A bad reputation means your privacy could be at risk.
- Zero-logging policy – A strict zero-logging policy for true online privacy and security is the only way to use a VPN.
Best VPNs to Unblock Skype Chat
We researched and tested the best VPN services on the market to find the ones that performed best with Skype. Grab any of our suggested VPNs below and you’ll be unblocking Skype and chatting privately and securely in no time.
1 – ExpressVPN – Fast and User-Friendly
ExpressVPN has an incredible reputation as one of the fastest VPNs in the industry. Not only does it have a strong server network, it’s also friendly and easy to use, making it a perfect choice for anyone looking for a reliable VPN for just about any purpose. ExpressVPN offers a wide range of privacy features to keep you safe and anonymous each time you connect, including 256-bit AES encryption, a zero-logging policy, and both kill switch and DNS leak protection. The company’s server network also covers over 2,000 locations in 94 different areas, giving you plenty of options for a fast connection.
Using ExpressVPN is surprisingly simple, all thanks to its custom software made for nearly all modern devices, including Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Once you create an account, all you need to do is download the app, sign in, and you’re set. ExpressVPN takes care of finding the fastest server to connect you to each time you turn on your device, keeping your data secure and your location hidden in the process.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3 months free (49% off - link below)
- Fastest servers we have tested
- Torrenting/P2P allowed
- Strict no-logs policy for personal information
- Great customer service via chat.
- Slightly pricier than competition.
Check out our ExpressVPN review for more info about the company’s amazing features!
2 – NordVPN – Fast Speeds, Powerful Protection
NordVPN has an absolutely massive server network–the most impressive in the industry, in fact. The list of node is growing on a nearly daily basis, but at the time of writing it sits at over 4,900 servers in 62 countries, occupying every continent except Antarctica. This amazing variety lets NordVPN deliver fast speeds and tons of IP addresses to all of its users.
There’s also a few unique services only NordVPN offers, as well. Want protection against DDoS attacks? Double encryption? Onion over VPN? Connect to the right server and you’re set, all it takes is a few quick clicks.
NordVPN also includes top shelf privacy features you need to stay safe: 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and an amazing zero-logging policy that covers time stamps, DNS requests, IP addresses, and traffic. It’s also extremely easy to use, with smart, intuitive software designed for all modern devices that handles all of the heavy lifting. When you need solid, fast protection, just fire up NordVPN and you?re set.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3-year plan (75% off - link below)
- 5,400+ servers globally
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- “Double” data protection
- Money back guarantee policy.
- Not much
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
3 – CyberGhost – Fast, Secure, Safe
CyberGhost is easily one of the best all-around VPNs on the market. A lot of this is thanks to the company’s custom app that works on a variety of devices, including smartphones, desktop PCs, and laptops. Users can connect with just a few clicks and enjoy full access to a network of over 2,400 servers in 60 countries. CyberGhost leverages this network to deliver incredibly fast and reliable speeds around the world. No buffering delays, internet slowdown, or sluggish connections, just a blazing fast internet each time you log on.
CyberGhost’s privacy features keep you secure at all times with 256-bit AES encryption on data, a zero-logging policy on traffic, time stamps, and IP address, and both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. These features hide your identity each time you go online, allowing you to connect with full privacy no matter where you go. You never have to spend time configuring these features, either, as CyberGhost is ready to go right out of the box.
- Unblocks US Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Hulu
- Torrenting allowed
- Jurisdiction in Romania
- Private: Strong no logs policy
- Money-back guarantee.
- IPv6 WebRTC leak in macOS
- Can’t unblock some other streaming sites.
Learn more about CyberGhost’s great features in our complete CyberGhost review.
4 – PrivateVPN – Stable and Secure
PrivateVPN delivers the right mix of speed and security to its entire network of users around the globe. The VPN is designed to keep you safe while providing an excellent online experience no matter where you live. PrivateVPN accomplishes this with lightweight software anyone can pick up and use, making it easily accessible from desktops, tablets, and Android and iOS smartphones. There’s no need to go through complicated configurations, just run the app and you’re secure.
PrivateVPN operates a network of over 100 servers in 56 different countries, enough to deliver location variety and fast speeds without sacrificing reliability. PrivateVPN locks down all data passing through this network with 256-bit AES encryption, and it keeps your connection safe with an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a zero logging policy on traffic, too.
Read more about PrivateVPN’s useful features in our full PrivateVPN review.
How to Use a VPN to Unblock Skype Anywhere
Once you’ve researched and chosen the right VPN, the hard work is done. All that’s left is to set everything up so you can unblock Skype and enjoy safe, private, and less expensive VoIP calls anywhere in the world.
- To get started, open a web browser on your PC and sign into your VPN account. Download the VPN app for your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux). The VPN may redirect you to an app store for the download if you’re using an Android or iOS device, which is perfectly safe.
- Install the VPN on your device. Launch the software and sign in using your account credentials. Most apps will automatically connect to a server as soon as you launch, giving you the fastest connection possible. You may want to switch servers to get a different IP address from a new country, however. In general, the best places to connect for unrestricted Skype access include the U.S., Canada, and much of western Europe.
- To ensure better security, test your IP address to make sure the VPN doesn’t have any leaks. While your VPN is connected, open a web browser and visit ipleak.net. The page will load and run an IP address lookup. When it completes, you should see a box near the top that says “Your IP addresses”. Just below that it should list a country that isn’t the one you’re currently sitting in. If you live in France but are connected to a server in Spain, the box will say “Spain”, meaning you’re safe and secure and ready to access Skype.
- If you haven’t done so already, go ahead and download Skype and install it to your device. Make sure you leave your VPN connected. Launch the Skype app and connect to a call. You should immediately have full access to Skype’s features, even if you live in a country that blocks or restricts the software. Just remember to keep your VPN active at all times, otherwise you’ll lose your privacy and your connection!
Where Is Skype Blocked?
Dozens of countries around the world block or otherwise restrict access to Skype. Areas like China, Syria, Oman, Turkey and Malaysia forbid it outright, while parts of Asia, the Caribbean, and the Middle East are known to randomly restrict Skype service for no apparent reason. The motives for these blocks are always different, but the end result is the same: you can’t use Skype.
Below are lists of countries where the service is either completely blocked or under certain restrictions. In either case, you can often use a VPN to bypass these firewalls and use Skype with complete freedom.
Skype is completely blocked in the following areas:
Skype and VoIP are restricted in these areas:
- Cuba – Not specifically blocked, but extremely expensive and difficult to access due to poor internet infrastructure.
- Egypt – Often blocks Skype during times of political unrest.
- European Union – Not blocked, but there is some political discussion about its security, so a block could eventually happen.
- Iran – Not blocked but practically unusable due to interrupted connections.
- Mexico – Blocked by some ISPs.
- Myanmar – Usable in certain circumstances.
- Pakistan – Not blocked, but calls are monetized and extremely expensive.
- Panama – Calls carry a steep Skype tax.
- Russia – Telecom companies are currently lobbying to block all VoIP services in the country.
- Syria – Limited access at best.
- Tunisia – Availability varies.
- Venezuela – Some ISPs block Skype.
- Vietnam – Limited access, but Skype is available in some cafes thanks to proxy services.
Is it Legal to Unblock Skype with a VPN?
This is a difficult question to answer, as there’s no clear-cut solution for every region in the world. For the most part, Skype hasn’t been made explicitly illegal, nor are citizens forbidden from accessing it. Instead, Skype is simply blocked, which prevents people from casually using it on their home PC or smartphone device.
The general rule is this: as long as using Skype itself isn’t illegal in your area, you’re free to run a VPN to access it. You are responsible for checking these laws before accessing outside services through encrypted connections. Just because you’re using a VPN doesn’t mean you can break the law.
Unblocking Skype isn’t very difficult, especially if you’ve got a good VPN on your side. Accessing the VoIP service is fast, safe, and secure, and it’s made even better when your VPN has your back at all times!
Do you live in a country where Skype is blocked, or have you ever had the service interrupted while traveling? Which of our proposes solutions looks the most promising for your needs? Tell us about it in the comments below.