The largest and most densely populated continent on the globe, Asia, is home to nearly two thirds of the Earth’s people. This includes everyone in the Middle East to people living in China, India, Mongolia, Russia, Japan, South Korea, and the numerous islands stretching into the Pacific and Indian Oceans. There’s a lot of technology on this sprawling continent, which means there’s plenty of utility to be had with an Asian IP address.
Whether you’re trying to access a bank account in Asia, want to stream Netflix movies from Japan, or unblock Hotstar from outside of India, the right virtual private network can hook you up. VPNs create a tunnel of privacy between your device and the internet, allowing you to log on and enjoy the free, open, and secure Internet from anywhere in the world, and with any IP address you want.
If you need to get an IP address for Asia, a good VPN is just what you need. We’ve got a complete guide below that will get you set up in no time.
How to find the best VPN for Asia
It’s not easy to choose the top VPN providers out there, especially when you’re looking to fulfill a specific need such as getting an Asian IP address. We’ve simplified the process by narrowing the research criteria to the five most important features. We used these to rank our VPN selections below, all of which are guaranteed to provide you with fast, secure, and safe internet connections.
- Fast speeds – Only the best VPN services work to maintain the fastest server speeds. Make sure yours is one of them.
- Good device compatibility – From smartphones to tablets to Fire TV, your VPN needs software that runs on a variety of devices.
- Large server network – More VPN servers is always a good thing, and you need to make sure you have access to tons of locations across Asia for the most IP addresses possible.
- No traffic restrictions – Some VPNs block P2P networks and torrent traffic or restrict how much you can download.
- Zero-logging policy – Without a strict no-logging policy, VPNs can keep records of data which can be used to trace your activity back to you.
Unblocking with VPN servers in Asia
The biggest benefit of using an IP address from Asia is the ability to access geo-restricted content from around the world. You don’t need to be located in Japan or Thailand to stream movies/TV shows from those countries, all you need to do is pick the right IP address and you’re in. This also holds true for unlocking websites or bypassing censorship barriers anywhere in the world.
The downside to getting an IP address for Asia is you do need a VPN with servers physically located on the continent, specifically in the country you want to appear as if you’re from. Since most VPNs have hundreds of servers scattered across Asia, this usually isn’t a problem for most people.
Best VPNs for Asian IP addresses
We did the research and found the top VPNs you can use to connect to a secure and private internet in Asia. Use them for unblocking censored content, watching videos, or keeping your identity secure from surveillance and cyber attacks.
1 – ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and most reliable VPNs, a factor that makes it a favorite with online privacy fanatics. The service is extremely easy to use, as well, with simple one-click software that connects you to secure worldwide IP addresses in a matter of seconds. You can use ExpressVPN with PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, and other devices, all of which gain the benefits of complete online privacy without impacting performance.
With ExpressVPN, data is secured with military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and backed by a strict zero-logging policy on all traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. Information stays protected by an automatic kill switch and DNS leak prevention features, as well. All of these work together alongside ExpressVPN’s huge network of over 2,000 servers in 94 different countries to give you a fast and secure connection anywhere in the world, including Asia.
ExpressVPN operates hundreds of servers in several dozen locations throughout Asia. This includes IP addresses in Hong Kong, India, Japan, Laos, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Amazon Prime
- Fast serves with minimal speed loss
- Very simple and easy to use
- Strict no-logging policy
- Customer Service (24/7 Chat).
- Month-to-month plan has high cost.
For more info about this VPN and its great features, check out our ExpressVPN review.
2 – NordVPN
NordVPN is a popular VPN that runs an impressively large network of servers. Joining NordVPN gets you unlimited access to over 5,230 servers in 62 countries, all available without a single limitation on speed, server switching, or bandwidth. This massive amount of variety delivers fast speeds no matter where you connect from, ensuring you always have a reliable connection at your disposal. It also allows NordVPN to offer unique features like double encryption, protection from DDoS attacks, and onion routing over VPN for added privacy.
NordVPN’s software comes with everything you need to stay safe on any device, from PC to Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and more. These features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, an automatic kill switch, and a zero-logging policy that covers time stamps, DNS requests, IP addresses, and traffic. It’s extremely easy to set up and use on all of your devices, and you can connect to worldwide IP addresses in a matter of seconds, as well.
NordVPN offers over 440 servers located throughout the Asia-Pacific zone. This includes dozens of locations in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
- Servers optimized for unblocking Netflix
- No bandwidth caps
- Connect up to 6 devices at once
- Retains no metadata of your browsing
- 24/7 Customer Service.
- Refund processing can take up to 30 days.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
3 – CyberGhost
CyberGhost delivers one of the best VPN experiences around. It’s fast, easy to use, extremely secure, and it runs on nearly every device imaginable, from iPhones and iPads to Android devices, PCs and Macs. As soon as you sign up you’ll be able to access CyberGhost’s large network of over 3,330 servers in 60 countries, all with unlimited data and no restrictions on download speeds. There’s no easier way to unblock sites or to enhance your privacy online!
CyberGhost’s privacy features keep users safe with 256-bit AES encryption on all data, a zero-logging policy on traffic, time stamps, and IP addresses, and both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. These features hide your identity whenever you go online, allowing you to connect with fully encrypted data and an anonymous IP address no matter where you live, work, or travel.
Cyberghost’s large network includes many servers located throughout Asia, providing reliable access to IP addresses in India, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, and multiple other countries.
- Unblocks US Netflix in App
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) torrenting allowed
- Located in Romania (out of 14 eyes)
- No log files
- 45-days 'No-hassle' money back guarante.
- WebRTC leak detected
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
Learn more about CyberGhost’s fast speeds and smart privacy features in our complete CyberGhost review.
4 – PrivateVPN
PrivateVPN is strong and safe VPN that makes it easy to get IP addresses from other countries, all while keeping your data nice and secure. With PrivateVPN running in the background, you can surf and stream with complete privacy on a wide array of devices, including PC, iOS, Android, Mac, and more. This is thanks to the company’s lightweight and straightforward software that runs with just a few clicks. With PrivateVPN, you can get an Asian IP address in an instant!
PrivateVPN operates a reliable network of about 100 servers in 59 different countries. Data is locked down and secured with strong 256-bit AES encryption to keep your connection safe, and an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection along with a zero logging policy on all traffic ensure your privacy is never at risk.
You can get an IP address from Asia using PrivateVPN’s reliable network by joining servers in a number of countries, including Thailand, Russia, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, and India.
Read more about PrivateVPN’s stellar features in our thorough PrivateVPN review.
5 – PureVPN
PureVPN gives you more than just a reliable VPN, it offers a complete suite of online protections at no additional cost. PureVPN’s software hides your identity and keeps you secure from a range of cyber threats just like any VPN, but it also gives you instant access to anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking features, and website filters. No need to download extra software, just fire up PureVPN and click to stay safe.
PureVPN provides great privacy features on top of its extras. It begins with a zero-logging policy on traffic and continues with an automatic kill switch, military-grade 256-bit AES encryption on all data, and DNS leak protection. These features work together to keep your data secure no matter what. And with PureVPN’s self-owned network of over 2,000 servers in 180 different locations, you’re guaranteed a fast connection and anonymous IP address at all times.
PureVPN operates over 320 servers throughout Asia, covering some countries other VPNs rarely have a presence in. This includes Afghanistan, Cambodia, China, Georgia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Kuwait, Macao, Mongolia, Pakistan, Laos, UAE, Taiwan, and many others.
Setting up a VPN to get an IP address for Asia
Now that you know what to look for in a VPN, it’s time to sign up with a reliable service, then get things set up on your device so you can enjoy IP addresses from around the world.
Step 1 – Download the VPN and connect
VPN apps are designed to be as easy to use as possible on every platform. In most cases, all you’ll need to do is download a single file and activate the one-click installer. The details will vary depending on your service, but the basic process is outlined in the steps below.
- In your PC web browser, sign into your chosen VPN account.
- Look for a downloads section on your account dashboard.
- Select the app for your device and download it. You may be redirected to a mobile marketplace to install apps for iOS, Fire TV, or Android. Be sure you use the links provided by your VPN so you don’t accidentally install fake software.
- Install the app on your device and launch it.
- Log into your VPN software using your login credentials.
- After signing in, your VPN app should automatically connect to the fastest server available.
Step 2 – Choose an Asian IP address
With the VPN installed, you can now select a custom IP address and connect at your leisure.
- Open the VPN app on your device and look for a server location browser.
- Choose a node located in Asia. You can pick a specific country, or just find the fastest option and connect from there.
- Wait a few moments for the VPN to confirm the connection is active.
- Minimize the VPN app or simply let it run in the background. It will now keep you safe and secure while you browse the internet!
Step 3 – Verify your IP address
Now that the VPN is set up and running, it’s a good idea to verify that everything is working as intended and that you actually do have an IP address from Asia. A quick IP address test will reveal whether or not your VPN is working as intended.
- Note which country your VPN is connected to. If you followed the steps above, it will be somewhere in Asia.
- Launch a web browser on the same device and go to ipleak.net
- Wait for the page to load. It will automatically run an IP address lookup.
- Look at the box at the top of the page beneath where it says Your IP addresses.
- Does the box show the country you connected to, not the country you’re in? If so, your VPN is ready to go.
- If you didn’t see the country you were supposed to, you may need to check with your VPN provider to resolve an IP leak error.
Step 4 – Enjoy the Asian Internet
You’re connected to a safe server and are now online with full encryption and identity protection, complete with an Asian IP address. You can do just about anything you like on the web, now, including accessing geo-restricted websites, breaking through censorship walls, watching movies from other regions, or simply keeping your data secure no matter what.
How to speed up your VPN
There are a multitude of uses for a VPN with access to Asian IP addresses. Many people use it for streaming live events such as HD sports, foreign movies, or even on-air TV shows. These activities can eat up a lot of bandwidth, however, which means having a fast connection is your top priority.
There’s a catch, however: VPNs are often slightly slower than standard, unencrypted internet connections. You may notice a slight drop in speed as soon as you connect. This is inevitable if you’re located far away from your Asian VPN servers, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and do nothing.
Below are a few tips on how to speed up your VPN while connected to servers in Asia or around the world.
- Change ports – VPNs use specific ports to connect to the internet. Some ISPs throttle the most common VPN ports in an attempt to discourage open access. To get around this, all you have to do is check your VPN software’s options and look for a setting that lets you change ports. TCP or UDP 80 is a good alternative to try, as is TCP/UDP 443.
- Decrease encryption strength – Most VPNs deliver 256-bit AES encryption by default. This is standard military-grade protection that would take a supercomputer millions of years to crack. If you’re just streaming movies, though, this can be overkill. If your VPN offers the choice to change encryption strengths, try going to 128-bit AES. This often results in faster speeds without dropping your security rating too much.
- Switch VPN servers – Server location is the number one cause of slow VPN speed. Lag is almost inevitable with connections to servers far from your physical location. If your downloads slow to a crawl, try changing to a different server location for a quick speed boost. Asia is a big continent, so you can pretty easily find another connection nearer to your home.
- Use a wired connection – Wi-Fi isn’t the best way to connect to the internet, largely due to crowded wireless channels and poor signal strength. If your connection is sluggish or keeps dropping out, try switching to a wired connection if possible.
- Wait a while – Waiting is often the best way to fix a slow connection. Server congestion happens when a high number of people try to connect at once, a common occurrence when everyone gets home from school or work. By trying again in an hour or so, you may find your speeds automatically increase.
Getting an IP address for Asia is surprisingly fast, reliable, and easy to do, provided you have the right VPN. Once you install a handy app you’ll have complete, secure access to the world wide web, all with the ability to choose from thousands of Asian IP addresses at the touch of a button.
What do you plan on doing with your non-local IPs? Stream a few Asian movies? Break through censorship barriers? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.