If you’ve been searching for a secure method of getting an Indonesian IP address outside the country, this article is for you. Today, you’ll learn how virtual locations and IP spoofing work, plus how to add powerful encryption to your Internet connection to ensure your activity online stays completely private.You’ll also be able to unblock Indonesia-only websites from abroad.
Indonesia is growing incredibly fast in terms of internet development. Whether you are looking to stream videos online, get shopping deals or avoiding regional restrictions (geoblocking), an Indonesian IP address will help you do all that securely and anonymously.
Surprisingly few VPNs offer Indonesian servers, but thankfully the ones that do are among the industry’s very best providers:
- NordVPN – Best for Indonesian Spoofing – NordVPN is the world’s most trusted VPN, and is an excellent choice for getting a virtual IP from Indonesia. With unbreakable NordLynx encryption, a kill switch, and an array of specialty servers, you’ll be well-equipped for any use-case.
- Surfshark – A recently launched VPN service with advanced tunneling at a low cost.
- ExpressVPN – The fastest VPN on the market, now even speedier and more secure with the launch of Lightway encryption.
- CyberGhost – Offers a truly ludicrously large server network, but it’s easy to use thanks to an intuitive, plain-language interface.
In this article, we will explain how to get an IP address and why you should use a VPN rather than a proxy. Furthermore, we will go into detail about picking the right VPN, the steps you must follow to register and get started quickly, and how to make sure you are browsing securely. Before we get into specifics, let’s first discuss why you might want an Indonesian IP address.
Criteria for a secure, flexible VPN
There is an overwhelming range of choice on the VPN market, so how do you choose? We’ve done the hard work of narrowing down the selection to the very best providers, using the following criteria:
- Server Locations – to give you an Indonesian IP address, your VPN provider must have servers in the country. It helps if the provider you chose has many servers across Indonesia.
- Increased security – pick a VPN with strong 256-bit encryption and a no-logging policy. This will make sure that your data remains anonymous and untraceable.
- Encryption – encryption protects your data from corporations, criminals and the government. Conversely, not having encryption makes it easy for others to intercept your internet connection at any time.
- Fast connection speed – although a VPN inevitably slows down connections, you can pick one that will make the difference barely noticeable. The best predicator of fast connection speeds is a high amount of servers (1,000+) and a “no speed limits” clause.
- Easy-to-use software – go for a VPN that has a user-friendly interface. Whether you are new to using foreign IPs and VPN services, dealing with an overwhelming UI is no fun.
Top VPNs for enhanced cybersecurity in Indonesia
With the above criteria in mind, we can confidently present the following providers as the best VPNs to get an Indonesian IP:
NordVPN is the best VPN for anyone looking to unlock regional content, with a variety of configuration options available. One of the first features that stands out is the enormous network of 5,500 servers in 59 countries, which gives you a much wider variety of servers to connect to. You also have a range of speciality servers with NordVPN, including anti-DDoS, onion over VPN, double VPN encryption, dedicated IP, and more! Whether you are a rookie or an advanced user, there is a massive array of servers to choose from.
NordLynx encryption, paired with tunneling protocols such as UDP, TCP, L2TP, SSTP and more, means that NordVPN is virtually unbreakable. That, as well a the no-logging policy, means that your activities, IP addresses, and even timestamps, will remain anonymous. In our full review, you can see other protocols that make NordVPN a solid choice for users looking for a secure connection. The cherry on top is the CyberSec module, which enables you to filter out ads and block malware. NordVPN is available on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Chrome OS and more.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 2-yr plan (68% off - link below)
- Mind-boggling number of servers
- 256-bit AES encryption with perfect forward secrecy
- “Double” data protection
- Money back guarantee policy (30-days).
- Not much
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
Surfshark swam onto the VPN scene in 2019, and have made massive waves breaking with industry norms to offer customers more functionality for less money. Fish puns aside, this scrappy young provider has aggressively grown its network to over 3200 servers in 65 countries, with servers in Indonesia.
Coupled with 256-AES-GCM encryption, Surfshark is one of the strongest ways to spoof an Indonesian IP abroad. It’s so cheap, there’s very little reason to ever turn to unsafe low-cost or free proxies again. You can even share your Surfshark subscription with friends, thanks to their policy allowing for unlimited simultaneous connections.
Additional security measures include IP/DNS/WebRTC leak protection, a kill switch, obfuscation and smart DNS on every server for beating VPN blocks, plus one of the industry’s strongest no-logging policies. Surfshark’s network is also built on super-fast RAM-only server infrastructure, making it physically impossible for your provider to keep records of your identifiable metadata.
- Every server optimized for unblocking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Unlimited server switching
- DNS leak and kill switch protection keep your defenses up even when your connection drops
- Independently audited privacy practices
- Support staff manned by actual human beings 24/7.
- Speeds occasionally suffer a noticeable drop
- New-kid-on-the-block status may not instill same trust as larger providers.
Read our full Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN is a great choice for users who are looking for a fast connection, high security standards, and an overall user-friendly experience. Whether you are looking to use P2P Kodi add-ons or streaming videos on Netflix, ExpressVPN allows you to do so with the least impact on the connection speed. This, in turn, means that you don’t need to deal with buffering while streaming or waiting longer than usual for a page to load.
The 256-bit AES encryption makes ExpressVPN a very strong choice. It would take the world’s strongest supercomputer millions of years to crack their system, meaning that you can enjoy surfing the web knowing that your activity logs can never be traced back to you. That, along with the no-logging policy and a variety of encryption protocols (including UDP, TCP, L2TP and more), ensures that you can browse anonymously and without any lag.
With a large network of 3,000+ proxy servers across 94 countries, ExpressVPN allows you to pick from a wide variety of foreign IP addresses, including Indonesia. This provider is available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Apple TV, and even PlayStation and Xbox.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Works with US Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu and other services
- Fastest servers we have tested
- Torrenting/P2P allowed
- No personal information logs kept
- Live chat support available.
- High cost for month-to-month users.
We recommend CyberGhost for users who are fairly new to the world of VPN. The user interface, including the colorful, minimalist display, makes it easy to use. Upon launch, you are presented with a list of configuration profiles you can choose from, including “Surf Anonymously”, “Unblock Streaming”, and “Unblock Basic Websites”. These profiles are then easy to customize, meaning you can pick features within each profile that are more important for you, for example “block ads” or “data compression”.
CyberGhost is also a solid choice for those looking for a secure, private connection. The 256-bit AES encryption via OpenVPN keeps your data untraceable, and the immaculate logging policy stores almost no information on the users; it doesn’t even keep your email address! These safety protocols, combined with CyberGhost’s massive proxy network of 5,900 servers in 90 countries, makes this a great choice for all users. CyberGhost is available on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, and even Raspberry Pi and Router.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- Works with American Netflix
- Special profile designed for torrenting privately
- GooglePlay users rating: 4.3/5.0
- Strict no-logs policy
- Live chat support (24/7).
- WebRTC IPv6 leak in macOS
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
How to use your new VPN to get an IP from Indonesia
You are now ready to start using a VPN! In order to start browsing with your Indonesian IP address, follow the steps below; they will have you surfing the web, watching content and gaming in no time.
Step 1 – Download the VPN
Once you pick the VPN provider best suited to your internet needs, it only takes a few minutes to actually download it. VPNs are also made to be responsive, meaning that you can enjoy your Indonesian IP address on your mobile device as well as a PC. The steps below will get you started:
- Open your browser and create a VPN account.
- Download the app that fits your operating system.
- Install the VPN and open it on your computer; enter your login details.
- Select Indonesia from the list of servers.
- Connect to the server and give it a little bit of time to connect.
- You are ready to browse! Open the application and start browsing with an Indonesian IP address.
Step 2 – Verify your Indonesian IP address
Although this step can be omitted, we recommend going through with it in order to verify your foreign IP address. This way you’ll be able to make sure you are browsing with an Indonesian IP without revealing your identity of activity log. It only takes a few minutes!
- Connect to a server in Indonesia through the VPN.
- Go on ipleak.net through your browser; in a few moments, the page will run an IP address lookup.
- If you see “Indonesia” under “Your IP Addresses”, you’re good to go! If not, there may be an IP leak error and you should contact the VPN provider to look into it.
If everything looks ok, you are ready to enjoy your security connection! You can now access a variety of online content that is restricted within your country, as well as explore different shopping deals and play video games with a low latency connection.
RELATED READING: How to check for DNS leaks
What is an Indonesian IP address good for?
Every time you turn on your computer and connect to the internet, you are assigned an IP address by your internet service provider. Though all of this happens behind the scenes, it has a massive impact on your online experience because websites, apps and online services all affect the online content you can enjoy. Here’s why this is so important.
First of all, your IP can restrict the variety of content you see on websites like Netflix, Hulu, and even Amazon Prime Video. For example, if you are located in France, you have 1,541 available TV shows on Netflix compared to the 4,579 available within the United States. The first reason is that businesses want to cater to different users around the world based on language and culture.
Secondly, countries have different sets of copyright laws and agreements. As we mentioned above, Europeans and North Americans can view thousands of videos on Netflix. But if you are located in Saudi Arabia, you only have 468 Netflix shows available online overall. In China, that number is even smaller (an effective 0) because of the Great Firewall of China.
Regardless of where you are located in the world, being tied down to one IP address will always result in some sort of restrictions. This is why a foreign IP address, including one from Indonesia, will allow you to sidestep all geographical limitations and allow you to browse a wide variety of international content without leaving your home, office, or hotel room. This includes having access to more games and game servers, more videos and streaming services, better shopping deals, and so on and so forth.
Why get an Indonesian IP with a VPN?
Although the internet is a fairly new communication medium in Indonesia, the number of online users nationwide has been growing at breakneck speed. In 2017, Indonesia surpassed Japan in the number of internet users recorded, even though Japan has been consistently ahead all the years prior to that. By 2022, the number is expected to be at 139,540,000 users compared to 104,000,000 in Japan in the same year.
In terms of local content restrictions, the most common reasons for filtering have been related to security, threats of violence, false information and other content that may be misleading to online users. Aside from that, the government has been very careful with laws restricting content, and in 2008 went as far as to accept suggestions from the public regarding introducing online censorship. In terms of internet freedom, getting an Indonesian IP means you can browse with few limits, safe in the knowledge that the Indonesian state will virtually never try to prosecute you.
Getting an Indonesian IP address has several other important benefits too. First, it gives you a low latency connection to nearby countries within the continent. So, for example, if you are looking to get access to great online deals or play video games with users in countries like India, Thailand, China, Australia and South Korea, an Indonesian IP address will allow you to do so whilst protecting your information and activity logs.
Another major advantage to getting an Indonesian IP address is getting around website blocks within your country. So, for example, if a website like Facebook is blocked within your country by every ISP, a foreign IP address from Indonesia – a country with fairly lax internet laws – will give you access to these websites even if they are otherwise restricted.
Why not use a proxy service?
There are two ways to get a foreign IP address – a VPN provider and a proxy service. Before we get into how you can get a foreign IP address with a VPN, we’ll explain why a proxy is not the method we recommend.
When you use a proxy, which routes your data through a server located in the country of your choice, your data isn’t as protected as it is with a VPN. While you will still get access to a variety of blocked websites, the lack of encryption makes this method more risky. Your ISP will be able to see your identity as well as other important information, making it that much more accessible to the government and other interested third parties. Considering the fact that VPNs and proxies cost about the same and both give you access to a foreign IP address, choosing the safer choice only seems logical.
Getting an Indonesian IP address using a VPN has many advantages. First of all, you can instantly avoid regional restrictions and access a wider range of content online. Within minutes, you can be streaming videos, browsing shopping websites, or playing video games with a low latency connection. By choosing one of the providers we have discussed in this article, you will be able to remain untraceable whilst browsing online, and enjoy a secure connection within leaving the comfort of your home or office.
What are you going to use your Indonesian IP address for? Leave us your comments below!
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. NordVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.