If you’re a frequent traveler to UAE, you’ve probably experienced your favorite apps like Spotfiy getting blocked as soon as you arrive. Today, we teach you how to unblock your favorite music streaming apps with a VPN, plus recommend a few of the most trusted VPNs in Dubai to help you do so.
Spotify was recently introduced to UAE, but there are still many restrictions when it comes to its usage. Perhaps the most notable of these issues is the significantly smaller audio catalogue available when compared to that of, say, the United States.
UAE regularly blocks access to common apps like Spotify, but you can securely regain access with these VPNs:
- NordVPN – Best for Spotify – NordVPN is no stranger to people living in the UAE. It enjoys widespread usage for unblocking services like Spotify due to its rugged ability to get past pretty much any type of Internet restriction.
- Surfshark – A smart new VPN with advanced provisions tailor-made to evade ISP throttling and government website blocks.
- ExpressVPN – An outstanding choice for bandwidth-intensive activities like video and music streaming, with some of the fastest connections available.
- CyberGhost – Offers a ludicrous number of servers in over 80 countries, yet is so easy to use even if you’re a VPN newbie.
- PrivateVPN – A better bet for VPN power users who enjoy tweaking encryption settings to maximum effect.
These regional limitations are present with other streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu, and are similarly a drag for users everywhere. In this article, we will discuss how to pick the right VPN for your needs, give you our provider recommendations, and explain why you need a VPN to unblock wider Spotify libraries from the UAE.
Finding the best VPN to unblock Spotify in UAE
With so many VPN providers on the market today, it can be very difficult to find the best one to unblock Spotify. There is a lot of information and detailed reviews to digest, especially if you have never used VPN services before. What’s worse, reviews often include a lot of big words like “encryption” and “geoblocking”, turning many off the idea forever. Fortunately, we’re here to simply the process and to define everything you absolutely need to know.
First of all – it is important to know what to look for in a VPN provider. Below, we have prioritized VPN features so that you can pick the most reliable VPN provider on the market. All our recommended VPNs excel in the criteria we have provided, but some specialize in certain features more than others.
- Quick connections – When using a VPN service, the connection speed becomes slower. This is because all your data and information gets encrypted before it is sent off to the servers, including timestamps and browsing history. A top quality VPN provider will ensure that you barely notice the slowdown.
- Device compatibility – In order to use a VPN service, you will need to download and install the provider’s app. However, in order to do so, you need to make sure that the VPN is available for your device and operating system.
- Server distribution – If you wanted to get a new virtual IP address in a certain location, you need to make sure the VPN provider has proxy servers there. Furthermore, the more servers there are in your location of choice, the faster the connection will be.
- Bandwidth restrictions – When surfing the web, the last thing you want is to be limited in how much data you can download. Opt for a VPN provider that does not limit your bandwidth or have speed caps for a better user experience.
- No-logging policy – The no-logging policy ensures that none of your data, down to your email address, is stored and therefore traceable. A quality VPN provider will have a solid zero-logging policy so that you can remain anonymous whilst browsing online.
Best VPN providers for unblocking Spotify
If you’re ready to unblock Spotify from the UAE, check out our top-recommended VPNs:
NordVPN operates one of the largest proxy server networks in the industry, spanning 5,500 servers in 59 countries. Not only does this already give you myriad options in terms of countries to connect to, but the network is growing consistently. This means that if you sign up now, chances are you’ll have more and more options with time. In addition to standard VPN servers, NordVPN offers specialty servers optimized for Onion over VPN, anti-DDoS, Double VPN, and many other use-cases. Given this setup, it is trivial to unblock Spotify in the UAE.
With a 256-bit AES encryption, NordVPN is virtually impossible to crack, giving you the most reliable connection possible. The encryption protocols include UDP, TCP, L2TP, PPTP, and SSTP. The logging policy ensures that there are no logs on anything from traffic to browsing history, making it one of the most complete zero-logging policies on the market.
Despite this array of features, NordVPN is a great choice for even the most inexperienced users. The interface is relatively simple, as well as intuitive compared to other competitors. The provider offers apps for a wide range of devices and operating systems, including Windows (10, 8, 7, Vista, XP), Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS and others.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Unblocks US Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime and other streaming services
- GooglePlay users rating: 4.3/5.0
- 2,048-bit SSL keys and DNS leak protection
- Based in Panama
- 24/7 Chat Support.
- Apps can be a bit cumbersome to use.
Surfshark offers an incredible mix of privacy, performance, and price. Since its launch in 2019, it has fast become the VPN of choice for anyone dealing with overreaching government censorship.
Indeed, Surfshark seems to “just work” for unblocking sites and apps like Spotify. Even in restrictive countries like the UAE, you just have to pick one of their 3200+ servers in 65 countries, wait a moment, then enjoy unlimited music streaming courtesy of the unbreakable 256-AES-GCM encryption cipher. Surfshark never caps your bandwidth or speed, nor does it discriminate on traffic type, so use it to your heart’s content.
Additional provisions include smart DNS for unblocking sites like Netflix which normally ban VPN traffic, as well as obfuscation and a special NoBorders mode for slipping past government censorship of all stripes. With a kill switch, IP/DNS/WebRTC leak protection, and a strong no-logging policy, Surfshark has your back, dutifully covering your tracks so you can never be identified by your traffic.
- Every server optimized for unblocking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- All 800+ servers are P2P-friendly, with private DNS and obfuscation
- TrustPilot 4.3/5 rating
- Based in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no data retention laws
- 24/7 live chat ensures maximum uptime.
- Speeds occasionally suffer a noticeable drop
- Power users may wish for more settings to fiddle with.
Read our full Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN employs a solid combination of high speed and security. True to its “express” namesake, it is considered to be the fastest on the market, allowing users to stream videos buffer-free and browse seamlessly without delays or error messages. With 3,000+ servers across 94 countries, ExpressVPN offers fast connection speeds and wide range of countries to choose from.
ExpressVPN uses the military grade 256-bit AES encryption, making it virtually unbreakable. Its encryption protocols include UDP and TCP via OpenVPN, as well as L2TP, PPTP and SSTP, which helps bypass even the most hardcore censorship blocks. The VPN provider has a strong no logging policy, which ensures that your timestamps and bandwidth cannot be traced back to your ID. Furthermore, there are no restrictions on P2P networks or torrenting.
While ExpressVPN’s technical features are impressively advanced, it does not fall short on user experience, either. The software is easy to use, and the single-click interface will have you surfing the web seamlessly within minutes of installation. It also has wide software availability, ExpressVPN is available for download on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, and many other devices and operating systems.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3 months free (49% off - link below)
- Superfast servers (minimal speed loss)
- AES-256 encryption
- Strict no-logs policy
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- Slightly more expensive than some other options.
CyberGhost is known to have one of the most user-friendly interfaces out of all providers in the industry. It is easy to install, and the colorful display makes the experience silky smooth and intuitive. Once you download and open the app, you will be given the option to choose from six different configuration profiles, all that are made to attend to different browsing needs. These profiles include options like “Unblock Streaming”, “Torrent Anonymously”, and “Protect my WiFi Connection”. Once you pick the right profile for you, the settings will automatically be applied. These profiles can be further customized with toggles like “block ads”, “data compression”, and “extra speed”.
CyberGhost also has some of the strongest security features. 256-bit encryption via OpenVPN keeps all your data secure behind a nearly impenetrable wall of cryptograph, with protocol options spanning OpenVPN’s UDP and TCP, as well as L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP. This provider is also known for its impeccable no-logging policy, which ensures that none of your activity or information is stored or can be traced back to you.
Along with the security comes consistently speedy and stable connections. Unlimited bandwidth makes sure that you can browse for long periods of time, and a zero-speed cap guarantee prevents you from experiencing buffering issues or connection slow-down. With 5,900 servers in 90 countries, you can expect to barely notice the difference between this encrypted connection and the unencrypted connection without a VPN.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- LOW PRICE: 6 EXTRA free months (79% off - link below)
- Affordable plans
- 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA256 authentication
- Strict no-logs policy
- 45-days 'No-hassle' money back guarante.
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
PrivateVPN ensures a secure and fast connection whether you are surfing the web, shopping online, streaming videos, or using social media. The provider gives you the opportunity to have six connections at the same time, and the app is compatible with a wide range of device types. This means that if you want to connect your smartphone, tablet, PC, router, and game console, you still have a connection to spare. You never have to worry about bandwidth or speed caps, as PrivateVPN ensures unlimited access to its 150+ servers in some 60 countries to every user.
PrivateVPN employs a no-logging policy that leaves almost no traces of what you do online. With a 2048-bit AES-256 encryption, you never have to worry about your data not being stored securely. The provider also keeps your connection safe with an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection. This software works seamlessly on a wide range of devices and operating systems, including desktop PCs, smartphones, routers and more.
How to unblock Spotify with a VPN
In order to start using Spotify with a VPN, you will only need to take a few simple steps. Once you have decided on the best provider for your needs, it will only take a few moments to get started. Simply follow the instructions below and you will be able to unlock an array of music without any extra hassle.
- To get started, create an account for your VPN provider of choice within the browser. Log in, and download the right app for your operating system or device. For example, if you are using a Samsung smartphone, you will need an app suitable for Android OS on mobile devices. Depending on your platform, you may be redirected to an app store to complete the download.
- Install the software on your device, launch it, and sign in using your account details. The majority of providers will automatically connect you to the quickest available server upon launch, which would still be suitable for you to unblock Spotify. However, you can change the server location at any point if you wish to connect to an IP address in a country with a bigger content catalogue, like the US.
- In order to ensure that the connection is secure and you can browse worry-free, run an IP lookup test. It is not an absolute must, but it would make sure your VPN is working properly.
- Visit ipleak.net.
- The site will automatically run a test, and in the top right corner, you will see “Your IP Addresses”.
- If the VPN is working fine, you will see your chosen location in this list. If, however, you see your physical location, there may be a leak, and you need to contact the VPN provider prior to browsing the web.
- You are ready to listen to music on Spotify, With one of our recommended VPN providers, you can now unlock a wide variety of music content, even though you are located in the UAE.
Can I use a free VPN for Spotify?
Many users ask questions about using a free VPN service, it seems like the natural choice if you want to have a secure connection without paying a monthly fee.
However, we do not recommend using free VPN services for several reasons. First of all, paying the small monthly fee will ensure good user experience. This includes everything from blocking in-app ads to apps that, without your knowledge, install malware on the device you are using. Furthermore, a paid service will keep your data protected at all times, while with a free VPN there is always a small chance that your data will get sold or traced back to you.
Paying the small monthly fee is insignificant compared to the consequences you would have to face if your data got leaked. Other reasons not to choose a free VPN subscription:
- Fewer proxy servers to connect to
- Pop up ads that interrupt your browsing
- Your online activity may be traced back to you (lack of zero-logging policies)
- Limited bandwidth and slower connection speed
- Weak encryption, which is dangerous for your online privacy
Using a VPN with Spotify
When it comes to Spotify’s music libraries, geo-blocking means that when you access the service, the algorithm determines where you are accessing the app from. If the service is banned in your country, you will not be able to access Spotify without a VPN. Alternatively, even if Spotify is available within your region, the variety of music varies from country to country.
RELATED READING: How to access blocked SoundCloud streams
Spotify recently announced that it is becoming available in several countries, including the UAE. However, considering the fact that this service is still very new in the UAE, the music availability will be limited since not all artists would have given permissions. Although the variety will keep growing over time, using a VPN will be the ultimate short-term solution to these limitations.
Furthermore, a VPN will ensure that everything from your ID to your browsing history will remain private. Whether you want to access Spotify from the browser or with the use of their app, by choosing one of our recommended providers, you will not have to worry about your information being traced back to you.
To conclude, by picking any one of our recommended VPN providers, you will gain access to much wider ranges of music on Spotify. Since the service was only introduced in the UAE this week, it will take some time to gain permissions for more artists. By using a VPN you can bypass all these regional limitations and listen to all the music you love worry-free,
What is the first song you are going to listen to when you download Spotify with a VPN from the UAE? Share some ideas with us, we’d love to hear them.
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. NordVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.